Last weekend, I did something that was a first for me. I used a quilt pattern.
Usually when I make a quilt, I come up with an idea in my mind and make up a pattern for it.
I used a pattern by Allison of Cluck Cluck Sew, called Pow Wow.
I am so glad that I used a pattern for a quilt like this. I would have never been able to figure out how to make arrows like these on my own. I love the way it turned out.
I will warn you though- this quilt was time consuming! Very much so. By the time I was sewing the binding on- I was so ready to be done with the quilt! ha ha
-But it was well worth it once I held it up to see it all finished.
I think that this pattern is the perfect quilt for a boy. It would be cute with girl fabric too, but it just screams boy to me. Since I am in a house full of girls (with the exception of my hubby) I mainly sew with pinks and florals. It was totally different to sew with boyish prints. To be honest.... I love sewing with my girly fabric more! I think sewing with the boyish fabric added to my readiness to be "done" sewing this quilt! ha ha
(nothing against boy fabric at all! I love it too- I just love making girly things more.)
I made it for my little brother Logan, who just turned 19 this week. He loves cars and he has an awesome sense of style, so I thought it would be fun to make it bright, fun, and kinda youthful, but not babyish of course.
When I saw this hot wheels fabric I knew it was perfect for the quilt. It totally screamed "Logan". I chose a couple colors (yellow, gray, and greenish turquoise) from the hot wheels fabric and just found fabric in those colors to coordinate.
When I bought my fabric, I got enough to make the lap sized quilt, but once I finished the quilt top I realized that it was going to be a bit small for my 6 foot tall brother. So I used a bit of leftover fabric and added a small border.
I have never used a solid print for binding before but I kinda like the way this solid Kona Charcoal turned out. Sometimes less is more, and with the busy-ness of the hot wheels print I don't think another busy print would have looked good as the binding.
I did a 3 inch border of the hot wheels fabric and then a 3 inch border of white around that. So it added just under a foot to the width and length- which was perfect.
(I liked it better before I added the border, but it was a necessity since I didn't have enough to make more of the arrow blocks to add on.)
P.S. I bought my pattern here. I got the pdf version so it was just emailed straight over... perfect if you are wanting to get started "right now". Which is how I roll, once I find something I like! ;)